Facebook have recently released an update that removes the ability to edit link previews when posting a link to a webpage. If you wish to continue to use this feature, it is possible to authorise any owned domains your brand may have using Facebook Business manager. Once a domain has been verified, the link preview functionality will be restored in full for those webpages.
Link Preview for webpage in Facebook post:
To implement domain verification, you need to choose between two different methods: 1) add a DNS TXT entry to your DNS record to confirm that you own the domain, or 2) upload an HTML file provided by Facebook to your web directory and confirm domain ownership in Business Manager.
Add your domain in Business Manager
- In Business Manager, click on the Business Settings button.
- In the Business Settings, make sure you are in the People and Assets tab, and select Domains from the left side navigation list.
- Click on the Add New Domains button, and enter your domain in the Add a domain pop-up dialog.
- If you have more than one domain listed, select the domain for which you desire to confirm ownership.
- Choose the method you wish to use to verify your domain: DNS Verification or the HTML File Upload. Note:You only need to use one method.
Add a DNS TXT entry to your DNS record to confirm ownership
The DNS Verification tab of your selected domain provides the TXT information you will need to add to your DNS record.
- Navigate to the DNS record section of your domain host.
- Add the TXT entry to your DNS record.
- Add @ to the Host field (if it is required by your domain host).
- Once the changes have propagated across your domain’s web servers, click the Verify button at the bottom of the DNS Verification tab for the selected domain.
Note: Typically, this change takes only minutes to occur, however there are cases where it may take up to 72 hours to complete.
- Leave the TXT entry in your DNS record as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
The precise steps you need to perform to add a DNS TXT entry to your DNS record may vary by domain host.
Upload an HTML file to your web directory and confirm domain ownership in Business Manager
The HTML File Upload tab of your selected domain provides the HTML verification file you need to upload to your website.
- Download the HTML verification file.
- Upload the file to the root directory of your website. You will be able to see that it is uploading at the link provided in the HTML File Upload tab.
- Once it is done, click the Verify button at the bottom of the HTML File Verification tab for the selected domain.
- Leave the HTML verification file in your website’s root directory as it may be checked periodically for verification purposes.
You need admin access to your website’s root folder to perform this type of verification.
Associate Facebook Pages with a Verified Domain
- Under Domains, select the desired domain, and click on the Assign Pages button.
- You should see any and all of the Pages you have added to Business Manager. (If your Page is not available, make sure you have imported it into Business Manager under the Pages tab.) Select all the Pages you wish to add to the domain, and click Save Changes.
- You should now see any added Pages listed under Assigned Assets for your selected domain.
Facebook Preview Link on verified Domain is now editable on Sprinklr: